Departments and Programs

Department of Language, Reading, and Exceptionalities Records, 1973-1990

The Department of Language, Reading, and Exceptionalities was established in 1985 to offer courses in areas such as Reading, Special Education, and Speech Pathology & Audiology. The Department of Language, Reading, and Exceptionalities Records date 1973-1990 and contain mostly administrative materials including faculty meeting minutes, program reviews, correspondence and notes.

Department of Human Development and Psychological Counseling Records, 1969-1997

The Department of Human Development & Psychological Counseling, in the Reich College of Education, offers courses of instruction leading to a Master of Arts degree in four areas of study. These records contain several disparate accessions which include photos, meeting minutes, fiscal information, accreditation information and award nomination information.

Department of History Records, 1965-2009

The Department of History was established in 1965 at Appalachian State Teacher's College and currently offers Bachelor and Masters degrees at Appalachian State University. The Department of History Records contain files created for academic and administrative purposes including budget information, correspondence, course schedule, curricula, faculty information, departmental self-studies and special programs, in addition to other materials.

Department of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science Records, 1967-1983

Health and Physical Education courses have been taught at Appalachian since at least 1921 and, in 1991, the department was renamed the Department of Health, Leisure and Exercise Science (HLES) and currently operates in the College of Health Sciences. The Department of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science Records contain information on committees, programs and facilities from the early years of the program.

Department of Government and Justice Studies Records, 1978-1998

The Department of Government and Justice Studies, formerly called the Department of Political Science and Criminal Justice, is a part of the College of Arts and Sciences at Appalachian State University. This collection contains documents pertaining to the operations of the department, including correspondence, meeting minutes, and course change and curriculum change proposals.

Department of Geology Records, 1972-2004

Courses in geology have been offered at Appalachian State Teachers College since 1942 and the combined Department of Geography and Geology offered coursework until the Department of Geology was established in 1971. The Department of Geology Records contain academic and administrative files dating 1972-2004, including policies and procedures information, program information, correspondence, minutes and agendas from Geology Faculty Meetings, blueprints, daily operating documents and memoranda concerning course schedules, summer school, funds and course offerings.

Department of Geography and Planning Records, 1928-1971

Geography courses have been offered at Appalachian since at least 1926 and the Department of Geography was established in 1975 as its own academic unit. The Department of Geography and Planning Records contain publications and weather reports, dating 1928-1971.

Department of Family and Consumer Sciences Records, 1962-2007

The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences (formerly the Department of Home Economics) is currently in the Reich College of Education. This record group contain records dating 1962-2007, including administrative and academic records under the name of the Department of Home Economics.

Department of Economics Records, 1978-1999

The Department of Economics currently operates within the John A. Walker College of Business and offers undergraduate coursework leading to a Bachelor of Arts in Economics, with a variety of concentrations. These records contain administrative and departmental files dating 1978-1999.

Department of Communication Records, 1967-2003

The Department of Communication is housed within the College of Fine and Applied Arts and was established in 1977 as the Department of Communication Arts. The Department of Communication Records contain administrative and correspondence files dating 1967-2003.

Pages