Grace Lutheran Church is located in the town of Rural Retreat, Virginia. The congregation was formed in 1868 under the direction of Reverend Elijah Hawkings by those attending services held at schoolhouses in the vicinity. A frame church building called Hawkins Chapel was built on the site of the Oak Grove in 1872. The current brick structure was built and dedicated in October 20, 1909. In 1923, the name of Hawkins Chapel was changed to Grace Lutheran Church and the practice of two worship services began, one at St. Paul (the "Mother Church" and older congregation in the community) and the other at Grace Lutheran. At the time of the documents in this collection were created the pastor was John Bryson Greiner (1841-1917).