Guide to the Valle Crucis Mission School Collection, 1905-1983

Summary Information

Title: Valle Crucis Mission School Collection, 1905-1983
Collection: AC.127
Extent: 0.01 linear feet (1 folder)
Abstract:

Valle Crucis Mission School Collection consists of photocopied documents related to the Valle Crucis Mission School, Valle Crucis School for Girls and its church activities. It contains materials written or published between 1904 and 1983. This collection provides ample examples of missionary's attitude towards mountain residents and fund-raising tactics.

Creator: Valle Crucis Mission School

Biographical/Historical Note

In 1842, Episcopal Bishop Levi Ives opened the Valle Crucis Mission School in Valle Crucis of Watauga County. It reopened as a boarding school for girls and a day school for boys in 1895. In the 1920s, the name was changed to Valle Crucis School for Girls and was subsequently accredited as a high school in 1934. Due to the poor economic base of Watauga County, its schools were unable to pay teachers for more than a few months work. Mission schools such as the Valle Crucis Mission School were key to the educational and economic development of the county residents. Missionary teachers taught at the church school until 1942 when it closed due to World War II.

Scope and Contents

The Valle Crucis Mission School Collection contains materials written or published about the Valle Crucis Mission School between 1904 and 1983. It provides ample examples of missionary's attitude towards mountain residents and fund-raising tactics.

Arrangement

Sections include Bulletins, 1923-1926; Financial Report, 1929; Minutes, 1942; Correspondence, 1927-1942; Spirit of Missions Excerpts, 1904-1940; and Academic Papers.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for use in the Dougherty Reading Room. An appointment for research is recommended. The Dougherty Reading Room is located on the 4th floor of Belk Library in Special Collections.

Acquisitions Information

Arrangement of the collection was originally made by Debbie Bell in 1994. Kathy Staley adapted the arrangement and processed the collection in 2002. Gaylord Brothers archival supplies were primarily used for the preservation.

Processing Information

Processed by Debbie Bell, Kathryn Staley, 2002; Encoded by Kathryn Staley, Rachel Critzer, April 2005

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], AC.127: Valle Crucis Mission School Collection, W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection, Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, USA.

Container List

Collection 127. Valle Crucis Mission School Collection. (1905-1983)
Folder  
1   Bulletins, 1923-1926
   
    Financial Report, 1929
   
    Minutes, 1942
   
    Correspondence, 1927-1942
   
    Spirit of Missions Excerpts, 1904-1940
   
    Academic Papers, 1920-1983, n.d.