Guide to the H. Cone and Sons Collection, 1876 - 1976, undated

Summary Information

Title: H. Cone and Sons Collection, 1876 - 1976, undated
Collection: AC.130
Extent: 0.5 linear feet (1 box)
Abstract:

The H. Cone and Sons Collection consists primarily of business correspondence generated by H. Cone and Sons from 1876 to 1900. One item is dated 1976. Also included is a Cone cigar box and two notes from Ceasar Cone II.

Creator: H. Cone and Sons

Biographical/Historical Note

Adler and Cone was a merchandising business owned by Herman Cone and his brother-in-law Jacob Adler. After going into business with his sons Moses, Ceasar and Monroe, Herman renamed the business H. Cone and Sons. It primarily sold groceries but also had a component that sold cigars.

Brothers Moses and Ceasar Cone were the eldest children within the Herman and Helen Guggenheimer Cone family. Although born in Jonesborough, Tennessee, they were raised in Baltimore, Maryland with their eleven younger siblings, Albert (died at 3 months), Etta, Dr. Claribel, Clarence, Carrie, Dr. Sydney, Julius, Bernard, Solomon, Frederick, Monroe. Herman Sr., Moses, Ceasar and Monroe incorporated into H. Cone and Sons. Later in life, they became textile industrialists. The brothers established the Cone Export and Commission Company in 1890. Five years latter, they built their first cotton mill, Proximity, in Greensboro, North Carolina.Moses married the former Bertha Lindau and Ceasar married the former Jeannette Siegel.

Moses and Bertha Cone were the owners of the Flat Top Manor. The Cones were childless and Mrs. Cone willed the estate to the Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital in Greensboro. In 1949, the hospital board donated the property to the National Park Service. The estate was named The Moses H. Cone Memorial Park and is managed by the Blue Ridge Parkway, a unit of the National Park System.

Scope and Contents

The H. Cone and Sons Collection contains a Cone cigar box and business papers generated by H. Cone and Sons. H. Cone and Sons, previously Cone and Adler, conducted business in Baltimore, Maryland during the last quarter of the nineteenth century. Some of their enterprises were the manufacture of cigars and a wholesale grocery business. Eventually, the Cones formed a North Carolina textile company named Cone Export and Commission Company.

The collection consists primarily of business correspondence from 1876 to 1900. One item is dated 1976. Also included is a Cone cigar box and two notes from Ceasar Cone II.

Arrangement

This collection is organized into two series: Correspondence and Ephemera.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for use without restrictions in the Dougherty Reading Room.

Acquisitions Information

Provenance is unknown. The accession number is MCH. This collection was opened to the public on July 31, 2002.

Processing Information

Processed by Deborah Bell, Kathryn Staley, July 2002; Encoded by Kathryn Staley, May 2005

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], AC.130: H. Cone and Sons Collection, W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection, Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, USA.

Container List

Series I: Correspondence Series. (1876-1976, n.d.)

Series Description: Correspondence Series contains envelopes and postcards, arranged by date. Postcards include three from Bernard Cone to parents Helen and Herman Cone.

Envelope, 1876-1976, n.d. Box 1.1
Postcards, 1876-1895 Box 1.1

 

 

,

Series II: Ephemera Series. (n.d.)

Series Description: Ephemera Series contains one wooden cigar box, measuring 4" x 9 3/4" x 4 3/4". Pictures of Herman Cone and sons Moses, Ceasar, and Monroe are on the inside.

Wooden Cigar Box Box 1
Photographs Box 1