The Moses Cone Estate, originally known as the Flat Top Manor, was designed as the mountain vacation home of Moses and Bertha Lindau Cone. Moses Cone was the eldest child of Herman and Helen Guggenheimer Cone, German Jewish immigrant who built a thriving family-owned wholesale grocery business. Although born in Jonesborough, Tennessee, Moses was raised in Baltimore, Maryland within the Jewish community. His parents had eleven additional children, Ceasar, Albert (died at 3 months), Etta, Dr. Claribel, Clarence, Carrie, Dr. Sydney, Julius, Bernard, Solomon, Frederick, Monroe. Herman Sr., Moses, Ceasar and Monroe incorporated into H. Cone and Sons. Later in life, they became textile industrialists. The brothers established the Cone Export and Commission Company in 1890. Five years latter, they built their first cotton mill, Proximity, in Greensboro, North Carolina. Moses married the former Bertha Lindau and Ceasar married the former Jeannette Siegel. Moses and Bertha Cone were the owners of the 3,500 acre Flat Top Manor, currently known as the Moses Cone Estate near Blowing Rock, North Carolina.
The Cones had tenant employees and raised sheep for market. After Moses' death in 1908, Bertha took control of the Flat Top Manor business. She and her sisters lived at the manor during the summer months and at the Baltimore, Maryland home of her sister Sophie during the winter months. The Cones were childless and Mrs. Cone willed the estate to the Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital in Greensboro. In 1949, the hospital board donated the property to the National Park Service. The estate was named The Moses H. Cone Memorial Park and is managed by the Blue Ridge Parkway, a unit of the National Park System.
Arthur C. Moody worked as the estate manager. His family consisted of wife Marticia Estes and children Comie, Ivan, and Reece.