The first library at Appalachian opened in 1903 in the school's first building. In 1925, the library was moved to the new administration building, and in 1935 the D.D. Dougherty Memorial Library was constructed. In 1968, the main library on campus was erected and named in honor of Carol Grotnes Belk. This building is now named Anne Belk Hall and houses ASU's History Department, Technology Support Services, Government and Justice Studies Department, and the Hubbard Center for Faculty Development. Between approximately 1971 and 1983, the operations of the University Libraries were carried out by the Learning Resources office, whose primary faculty included the Dean of Learning Resources and the University Librarian. The Carol Grotnes Belk Library and Information Commons was dedicated and opened in September 2005 and features a five floor space with nearly a million bound volumes, public computer space, a digital media studio, group study rooms, the University Writing Center and Special Collections. Special Collections houses and oversees the majority of the collections of the W.L. Eury Appalachian Collection, the Stock Car Racing Collection, University Archives, and the Rare Books and Manuscript Collections (including the Bill and Maureen Rhinehart Collection). Additionally, the University Library also houses and oversees the Instructional Materials Center and the Erneston Music Library.