The collection consists of a flier advertising the sale of 40 lots and two copies of a 58" x 19" (147 x 49cm) plat of the French Court subdivision to be developed between the town of Narrows (Giles County, Va.) and the Celco Plant*, a cellulose acetate manufacturing facility that opened in Narrows, Va., in 1939. A list of restrictions and covenants in effect for a period of thirty (30) years from July 29, 1939 appears on the plat. The notarized signatures of land owners Mr. C.J. French and Mrs. Ellene F. Givens also appear. On one copy, annotations in pencil appear recto and verso; no pencil annotations appear on the other copy.
*The Celco Plant was commonly called the Celanese Plant. Route 641, a state highway that led to the new manufacturing facility, that borders French Court, and runs along the Virginian Railway, was also named Celanese Road. In the 1920s, Celanese was introduced as artificial silk; its name is a combination of the words "cellulose" and "ease."