Greenbrier County, West Virginia, consisting of just over 1,000 square miles, was chartered as a county of Virginia in 1782. The Greenbrier River runs through the county, which borders the West Virginia-Virginia line. Public and private lands, such as the Monongahela National Forest and MeadWestvaco, occupy much of the county's northern and western sections.
Prior to European and African settlers, the county was uninhabited due to a Shawnee legend preventing residency. The county seat is Lewisburg. Other towns include White Sulphur Springs, Ronceverte, Rainelle, and Alderson. Several Civil War battles, such as Lewisburg in May 1862 and White Sulphur Springs in August 1863, were fought in Greenbrier County. Both battles resulted in Union victories. Greenbrier is the home of Oakhurst Links, the oldest organized American golf club, formed in White Sulphur Springs in 1884.
The county school administration developed in West Virginia in 1933. In 1951, Greenbrier was selected as one of three counties to participate as pilot centers for West Virginia Cooperative Programs in Educational Administration (WVCPE)'s proposed study of county-unit school administrations. It is unknown at this time if Mountain State School, Inc.'s bonds was a result of the WVCPE project.