Carson-Newman College is a co-educational residential four-year, liberal arts Baptist college located in Jefferson City, Tennessee. It was organized in 1851 as Mossy Creek Missionary Baptist Seminary. In 1880, the college was renamed Carson College for donor James Harvey Carson (1801-1880). In 1899, Carson College joined its neighboring female college, Newman College, to become the South's first co-educational institution. In 1919, Carson-Newman College was officially affiliated with the Tennessee Baptist Convention. The College was admitted to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1927 and the Association of American Colleges in 1928.
Dr. Blanford Barnard Dougherty and his older brother Dauphin Disco founded Appalachian State University as Watauga Academy in 1899. Blan Dougherty was born in Watauga County, North Carolina and attended local subscription schools. He received his college education from the Baptist-affiliated Carson Newman College and Wake Forest College as well as University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He lobbied to equalize North Carolina public school laws and school allotments and worked as Watauga County's Superintendent. He helped write the 1929 Hancock School Bill, which established an equitable state system of public schools in North Carolina. He retired as Appalachian's president in 1955 and died in 1957.