Guide to the Lamons Wagon Company Collection, 1961, undated

Summary Information

Title: Lamons Wagon Company Collection, 1961, undated
Collection: AC.448
Extent: 0.01 linear feet (1 folder)
Abstract:

Established in 1868, Lamons Wagon Company produced wagons in Greeneville, Tennessee. Mabel M. Lamons auctioned the company real and personal property in 1961. The Lamons Wagon Company Collection consist of one 1961 broadside advertising the sale of the Lamons Wagon Company, two black and white photographs, two advertisement brochures, and three advertisement fliers.

Creator: Lamons Wagon Company

Biographical/Historical Note

W.A. Lamons established Lamons Wagon Company in 1868. He performed the general blacksmithing and manufacturing of farm wagons. It continued as a family business with his sons George G. and H.A. Lamons and grandson G.S. Lamons. The Lamons brothers also partnered with J.M. Reaves. Lamons Wagon Company was awarded in 1916 a state contract to provide transportation for rural school children. It was called "The Tennessee School Wagon." The company diversified to include a steel rubber tired tractor, the Lamons-Armstrong All Steel Farm Wagon, and a horse drawn wagon. In 1961, it consisted of 4.5 acres, one factory building, one warehouse of 4,000 square foot, and one stockhouse building. It was situated beside the Southern Railroad.

Greeneville, Tennessee was named after Revolutionary War hero Nathaniel Greene. It is the town seat of Greene County, Tennessee located adjacent to the Tennessee-North Carolina line. Greeneville is notable as the town where President Andrew Johnson spent most of his active life and for the role the town played in the very early history of Tennessee, namely as the capital of the short-lived State of Franklin.

Scope and Contents

These materials advertise the Lamons Wagon Company products and company with descriptions and images. The collection consists of one 1961 broadside advertising the sale of the Lamons Wagon Company, two black and white photographs, two advertisement brochures, and three advertisement fliers.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in one folder.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for use in the Dougherty Reading Room. An appointment for research is recommended. The Dougherty Reading Room is located on the 4th floor of Belk Library in Special Collections.

Acquisitions Information

This collection was purchased from Bookworm and Silverfish in 2002. Its accession number is AC.2005.009. Its original title was Lamons Wagon Company: Archives of Material about Wooden and Steel Wagons. It was opened to the public in August 2008.

Processing Information

Processed by Kathryn Staley, August 2008; Encoded by Kathryn Staley, August 2008; Reprocessed and finding aid revised by Trevor McKenzie, November 2012. This collection was reprocessed as part of a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. The grant funded extensive processing of the backlog within the W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection between 2012 and 2014.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], AC.448: Lamons Wagon Company Collection, W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection, Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, USA.

Container List

Lamons Wagon Company Collection, 1961, undated ACSC Oversize Box 1