Guide to the Emory & Henry College Papers, 1863-1872

Summary Information

Title: Emory & Henry College Papers, 1863-1872
Collection: AC.457
Extent: 0.01 linear feet (1 folder)
Abstract:

The Emory & Henry College Papers is a collection of two letters, a contract for cattle, and a group photograph of Young Preachers, dating 1863 to 1872.

Creator: Emory and Henry College

Biographical/Historical Note

Founded in 1836, Emory & Henry College is named after John Emory, a Methodist bishop, and Patrick Henry, an American Patriot and Virginia’s first governor. The college was founded upon the union of faith and learning and the ideals of freedom and civic virtue by Creed Fulton, a Methodist minister, Colonel William Byars, Tobias Smyth, a Methodist farmer, and Alexander Findlay, a Methodist businessman. The board of trustees hired Charles Collins (1838–1852) as the institution's first president with classes beginning in the spring of 1838 with 60 students enrolled. The College closed its doors in April 1861 due to the Civil War and was commandeered by the Confederate States of America in 1862 operating as a hospital until 1865. During this time the campus saw battle during the Battle of Saltville. The hospital was the setting of Lieutenant Smith's murder on October 7, 1864 by Champ Ferguson. After the civil war ended, the College reopened.

Scope and Contents

The Emory & Henry College Papers includes two handwritten letters, one with the envelope, a group photograph on cardstock, with the Young Preachers Class members identified along with the president, E.E. Wiley, D.D., and a contract for cattle from William H. Hamilton to Charles Scott, "thirty-five of Hamilton's fattest of his cattle."

Arrangement

The materials are arranged chronologically.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for use in the Dougherty Reading Room. An appointment for research is recommended. The Dougherty Reading Room is located on the 4th floor of Belk Library in Special Collections.

Acquisitions Information

This collection was purchased from Bookworm & Silverfish in 2008 and accessioned as AC.2008.074.

Processing Information

Processed by Anita Elliott, June 2013. This collection was processed as part of a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. The grant funded extensive processing of the backlog within the W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection between 2012 and 2014.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], AC.457: Emory & Henry College Papers, W.L. Eury Appalachian Collection, Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, USA

Container List

  ACSC_Box Folder

Papers, 1863-1872 

21 4