Charles Eugene Goodwin followed in the weaving trade learned from his English father, James, who came to the United States about 1837. Charles Eugene, called C. E., ran mills for absentee owners or leased weaving sheds in Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia. In the late 1880s, Goodwin moved to Cedar Bluff, Virginia from West Virginia to run the Scott Bros. Klondyke Cotton and Woolen Mill. The Cedar Bluff Woolen Mill, a carding wool business, was also located in Cedar Bluff.
Over a twenty-five year period, Goodwin either leased or managed two mills in Cedar Bluff, the Cedar Bluff Woolen Mill, owned by the McGuire family, and the Klondyke Cotton and Woolen Mill, founded by Thomas Scott and later purchased by members of the McGuire family. Goodwin finally purchased both mill buildings about 1916. When the smaller mill burned in 1924, Goodwin moved all his equipment to the larger facility up the river and expanded his operation.