Guide to the Woodlawn (Virginia) High School Papers, 1928

Summary Information

Title: Woodlawn (Virginia) High School Papers, 1928
Collection: AC.539
Extent: 0.01 linear feet (1 folder)
Abstract:

This collection consists of a play program "The Path Across the Hill" presented by Senior Class of Woodlawn High School, May 19, 1928. It lists the cast of characters and ushers.

Creator: Woodlawn High School

Biographical/Historical Note

Woodlawn High School was a public secondary school located in Carroll County, Virginia, at Woodlawn, Virginia. The school's last academic year as a high school was 1968-1969. One hundred seniors graduated in the final class of 1969. The following year all tenth, eleventh and twelfth grade students became part of the new Carroll County High School, in Hillsville, Virginia.

The school was founded in 1878 by Isaac A. Minor as a private school called the Woodlawn Male and Female Academy. In 1898 the name was changed to the Woodlawn Normal Institute and later to Woodlawn High School in 1907—becoming the first public high school in Carroll County, Virginia. Woodlawn High School's early, main academic building. Construction began in 1907 and the building opened in 1909.

A dormitory was built in the 1890s to house students from several nearby counties and states. The dormitory was destroyed by fire in 1903. A new three story dormitory followed in 1904 with a cafeteria, parlor, music room and rooms for boarders.At one time it also contained the first circulating school library in Virginia. This building was used by the high school until it too was destroyed by fire on January 27, 1960.

Construction on a new high school building began in 1907 on twelve acres of land. Members of the Woodlawn community raised the needed funds themselves to meet state requirements. The building opened to students on January 19, 1909. Two additional classrooms and an auditorium were added to the building in the 1930s. Four additional classrooms were added to house elementary grades in the early 1950s.

Woodlawn High School became the first public secondary school in the United States to offer vocational agricultural education classes under the Smith-Hughes Act. J. Lee Cox, superintendent of Carroll County Schools at the time, 1917, is given much credit for seeing the need for vocational agriculture classes. He went to the state capitol and persuaded the governor, Henry Carter Stuart, to let him develop the classes at Woodlawn. Fred R. Kirby, the first teacher of agriculture at the school, was named Master Teacher of the South in 1933. Kirby's successor, W.L. Creasy, was also named Master Teacher of the South in 1936.

The agricultural classes greatly benefited the area around Woodlawn. A few of the noted accomplishments of the program included: the introduction of permanent pastures on area farms, the use of strip cropping to increase crop yield and decrease soil erosion, an increased interest in school among young boys versus quitting school early and helping in the establishment of the Carnation Milk plant in nearby Galax, Virginia to support area dairy farms.

Home economics was added to the curriculum in 1916. A cottage was built on campus in 1924 to house this department. In 1962, the home economics department was moved to a new high school building and the cottage became the home of the high school band. Woodlawn High School closed its doors in 1969 because of school consolidation. It was renovated again in 1975 and currently serves as the Carroll County Adult Education Center.

A new, modern high school building was completed for the 1962-63 academic year on the footprint of the 1904 dormitory. That same year saw additional students, faculty, a marching band and more courses added to the curriculum.

(from Wikipedia)

Scope and Contents

The program that makes up this collection advertises the play "The Path Across the Hill" being performed by the Senior Class of 1928 of Woodlawn High School, located in Carroll County, Virginia. The program was performed on May 19, 1928.

Arrangement

This is a single-item collection.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for use in the Dougherty Reading Room. An appointment for research is recommended. The Dougherty Reading Room is located on the 4th floor of Belk Library in Special Collections.

Acquisitions Information

It was purchased from Bookworm and Silverfish January 18, 2001. Accession number is AC.2001.047.

Processing Information

Processed by Anita Elliott, March 2013. This collection was processed as part of a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. The grant funded extensive processing of the backlog within the W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection between 2012 and 2014.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], AC.539: Woodlawn (Virginia) High School Papers, W.L. Eury Appalachian Collection, Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, USA.

Container List

Program, 1928 ACSC_Box 16.5