Guide to the Greenbrier (West Virginia) Historical Society Prints, 1994

Summary Information

Title: Greenbrier (West Virginia) Historical Society Prints, 1994
Collection: AC.729
Extent: 0.01 linear feet (1 folder)
Abstract:

The Greenbrier (WV) Historical Society Prints are 11x14 black and white prints of historical buildings in Lewisburg and Greenbrier County, West Virginia, drawn by N.S. Hosterman and Ashton W. Renier in 1994.

Creator: Greenbrier Historical Society (Lewisburg, W. Va.).

Biographical/Historical Note

1. Carnegie Hall is now a historic attraction/museum located in Lewisburg, West Virginia, built in 1902 as a gift from Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie Hall is a non-profit performing arts center offering live performances, education and changing art exhibits throughout the year.

2. The Historic General Lewis Inn is a unique blend of the old and the new, created and operated by the Hock Family since 1929. The eastern end of the building, including the dining room, the kitchen and a suite of rooms on the first and second floors, was a brick residence built in the early 1800′s by John Withrow. The main section and the western wing of the Inn were designed by Walter Martens, a well-known West Virginia architect who also designed the Governor’s Mansion in Charleston. The Hock family spent many years gathering antiques from Greenbrier and adjoining counties to furnish the Inn. Spool and canopy beds, chests of drawers, china, glass, old prints and other memorabilia are throughout the Inn.

3. The Greenbrier College was founded in 1812, associated with the Presbyterian Church, in Lewisburg, West Virginia by Dr. John McElhenney. The College closed in 1972, but its buildings remain Lewisburg landmarks, serving the community as cultural points.

4. Greenbrier County Courthouse and Lewis Spring is a historic courthouse building and spring house located at Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia. The courthouse was built in 1837, and is a two-three story, T-shaped brick building. The front facade features four large plastered brick columns. Atop the building is a cupola belfry. The Lewis Spring is enclosed in a small, well-preserved stone building. Adjacent is a high stone retaining wall constructed between 1785-1795.

The courthouse building was built from local brick by mason John W. Dunn (who was also an architect, but is not credited with the courthouse's design). It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

5. The Greenbrier Military School was a boys-only, private, military, boarding high school located in Lewisburg, West Virginia. It was founded in 1812 and closed in 1972. The campus was then converted into the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. The school's alumni fund a scholarship at the osteopathic college.

The Greenbrier Military School Alumni Association directs and funds the Greenbrier Leadership Institute, delivering principle based leadership programs to high schools throughout West Virginia.

6. The John A. North House, also known as the Frazier's Star Tavern, is a historic home and tavern located at Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia. It was built about 1820, and is a two-story red brick dwelling. A two-story addition containing a sun-parlor and porte cochere was built sometime before 1905. It features a double portico with heavy columns supporting a high pediment. About ten years after construction, the building began use as a tavern along the main route from Richmond. The building reverted to a private home after the American Civil War. From 1905 to 1972, it housed the Lewisburg Seminary and Conservatory of Music.

The house is now owned by the Greenbrier Historical Society and is operated as the North House Museum. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

7. John A. Preston (1847-1917) was a leader of Lewisburg, West Virginia, serving as veteran, attorney, senator, and an honorable family man and citizen. His Lewisburg homestead was named Tuscawilla.

8. The John Wesley Methodist Church, also known as First Methodist Church, is a historic Methodist church on East Foster Street in Lewisburg, Greenbrier County, West Virginia. It was built in 1820, and is a two story, brick meeting house building with Greek Revival style design elements. It originally measures 58 feet long by 47 feet wide. In 1835, a vestibule addition added 10 feet to the length. The interior features a slave gallery. During the Battle of Lewisburg, a cannonball struck the southwest corner and the repairs remain visible.

John Weir, a brickmason and architect, is traditionally accepted to have been the architect for the 1820 building. An 1835 addition was by John W. Dunn, also a brickmason and architect. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

9. Methodist services were held in Lewisburg as early as 1787. The following year in July 1788, circuit rider Bishop Francis Asbury preached at the home of James Watts and formally organized the congregation. Around 1800, the Methodists erected a church house on Lot 61 of the original town plat on German (now Foster) Street. The building was later sold and used as a dwelling.

A new brick church was constructed on adjoining lots about 1820. This church building is still in use as John Wesley United Methodist Church, listed on the Historical Register. Issues of race, the Civil War and the subsequent division of the Methodist Episcopal Church divided area Methodists; two separate churches were formed: The Methodist Episcopal Church (North) and the Methodist Episcopal Church (South).

In Lewisburg, a dispute arose over ownership of the brick church building. Another building was erected on the northeast corner of what was later Greenbrier College campus; however, it was later sold in 1867. The present building (one in the sketch) was dedicated in 1905, with additions in 1914.

10. The Old Stone Presbyterian Church was established in 1783 by the Rev. John McCue, first known as Camp Union. The present-day stone sanctuary was constructed in 1796 under the leadership of Rev. Benjamin Grigsby.

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of ten black and white prints of buildings in Greenbrier County and the town of Lewisburg, West Virginia. All but one were drawn by N.S. Hosterman. The other is signed Ashton W. Renier. These prints were printed in two books by Ruth Woods Dayton, Lewisburg Landmarks and Greenbrier Pioneers & Their Homes. They were copyrighted in 1994 by Greenbrier Historical Society.

Arrangement

The prints in this collection are arranged alphabetically according to landmark building name.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for use in the Dougherty Reading Room. An appointment for research is recommended. The Dougherty Reading Room is located on the 4th floor of Belk Library in Special Collections.

Acquisitions Information

Provenance of this collection is unknown. A note on the Accession Form indicates that there should be notecards with the prints in this collection, but when processed, there were no notecards. Accession number AC.2001.004

Processing Information

The collection was processed by Anita Elliott, January 2014. This collection was processed as part of a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. The grant funded extensive processing of the backlog within the W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection between 2012 and 2014.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], AC.729: Greenbrier (WV) Historical Society, Prints from Books by Ruth Woods Dayton, W.L. Eury Appalachian Collection, Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, USA.

Container List

Prints, 1994 ACSC_Box Oversize 2