Local History

Overview

This guide includes both primary and secondary source resources relating to local history in Watauga County and surrounding counties (Ashe, Avery, Caldwell, and Wilkes). Manuscripts must be used in the Dougherty Reading Room. To schedule an appointment or for more information, email spcoll@appstate.edu.

Manuscript Collections

This collection offers a variety of legal documents of W. R. Gragg and others from Boone and/or Watauga County, North Carolina, dating 1844 to 1925. Gragg was at one time, the Mayor of Boone, the Watauga County Register of Deeds, and operator of an automobile livery.

1.51 linear feet (1 folder, 1 oversize folder)

Watauga County (North Carolina) United Methodist Church Correspondence was generated by Western North Carolina Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church for staff of the W.L. Eury Appalachian Collection. This material is regarding the Methodist churches of Watauga County, North Carolina.

0.01 linear feet (1 folder)

This is a Certificate of Deposit from the now defunct Watauga County Bank, dated July 11, 1932.

0.01 linear feet (1 folder)

The collection contains Watauga County Economic Development Commission meeting minutes and agendas from 1999 to 2001.

0.01 linear feet 1 folder

The William Allan Papers consists of genealogical information for over 250 northwestern North Carolina families on microfilm reels. The materials focus on Watauga County in 1942 to 1953 and include Bible records, vital records, interviews, published family histories and newspaper clippings, birth dates, marriage dates, death dates, and health problems, and attempt to illustrate the prevalence of endogamy and genetic diseases.

1.5 linear feet (3 shoeboxes)

The Watauga County Government Ledgers consist of tax records, distribution, and ledgers originating from Watauga County's court house.

6 linear feet (8 boxes)

The Watauga County, North Carolina Historical Site Project was a Watauga County architectural study of older houses, churches, stores, barns, and schools conducted by students and volunteers between 1988 and 1990. The collection contains records of the project including administrative files, site survey notes, photographs, and maps.

5.5 linear feet (15 boxes)

Pages