University History

Overview

This guide includes both primary and secondary source resources about the history of Appalachian State University. Manuscripts must be used in the Dougherty Reading Room. To schedule an appointment or for more information, email spcoll@appstate.edu.

Manuscript Collections

While the Student Government at Appalachian State University dates back to 1939, the current Student Government Association was established in 1967 with the purpose communicating the concerns of students to the university administration and to promote the general welfare of the student body. The Student Government Association Records contain meeting agendas, governing constitution and activity materials, operating documents, VHS tapes, office files belonging to branches and groups of committees and councils, including memorabilia items within the election and campaign materials.

16.7 linear feet (32 boxes, 2 record cartons containing 102 VHS tapes, 1 oversize box, and 1 half-size manuscript box)

The University Archives Ephemera Collection contains ephemeral material, mostly posters and flyers, produced by and/or related to activities sponsored the University itself, clubs, organizations, groups, or partners of Appalachian State University, dating 1924-2012.  

9 linear feet (3 boxes, 5 oversize boxes, 2 oversize folders)

This collection contains oral history interviews conducted between 1956 and 2000. This oral history collections includes primarily former administrators, faculty, staff, retirees and students of Appalachian State University. Found in this collection are interviews of significant people like B.B. Dougherty, Satie Broyhill, Cratis Williams, Herbert Wey, Francis Borkowski, W.H. Plemmons, and Dr. Richard Howe. Many interviews conducted by the University Archivist, Ruth Currie. Included in this collections is an an oral history project representative of the Appalachian State University Graduate School. The bulk of the interviews in this entire collection were taken between 1993 and 1998.

5.25 linear feet (2 standard archival boxes, 4 half-sized manuscript boxes, 2 vhs boxes, 1 flat manuscript box, and 1 audiocassette box)

Appalachian State University was founded in 1899 as the Watauga Academy, and underwent several name changes over the years as the school transitioned from a small teachers' college to a multi-disciplinary university. This collection includes photocopies of the original charter documents, as well as various other documents concerning the history, charter, and organization of ASU and its predecessors.

0.01 linear feet (1 folder)

Appalachian State University received its current name on July 1, 1967, transforming over the years from a small teachers' college to a multi-disciplinary university. The University Deeds collection contains the original deeds to properties belonging to the university as well as supporting documentation, copies and abstracts of the deeds, notes and correspondence, title analysis, maps and drawings of property, certifications, and contracts.

3 linear feet (6 boxes)

The University Photograph Collection contains several accessions and photograph collections that come from a variety of sources, but are generally of or relate to ASU's campus, students and activities. The photos date 1920-2007, though several are undated.

11.45 linear feet (16 folders, 1 envelope, 3 records cartons, 5 boxes, 4 half-sized manuscript boxes, 1 metal slide box containing 80 slides, 3 CDs, 4 flat boxes, 1 oversize folder, 1 oversize box)

This collection consists of memos, meeting minutes, collection donations/donors, and related papers to the Appalachian Collection. These papers were transferred to Special Collections at the time of Darlene Scott's retirement. Scott was the Administrative Secretary to the University Librarian.

0.25 linear feet (1 half-sized manuscript box)

Pages