This pathfinder contains bibliographic information on academic literature about Appalachian stereotypes as well as the popular, non-academic image of the hillbilly. Most of what is found is journal articles concerning the subject of Appalachian stereotypes, but some very interesting position papers, theses, and reviews are also located.
Cratis Williams’ The Southern Mountaineer in Fact and Fiction, Chapter I, “Who are the Southern Mountaineers?” pages 1-132. Appalachian Collection (PS 255 .W26 v. 1)
Dwight Billing’s “Introduction,” Back Talk From Appalachia: Confronting Stereotypes. pages 3-20. Appalachian Collection ( F210 .C66 2001)
Stereotypes (Social psychology) -- United States
Appalachians (People) -- Ethnic identity
Appalachians (People) -- Social conditions
Appalachian Region, Southern
Southern States – In literature
American fiction – Southern States – History and criticism
Tennessee, East – Social conditions
Stereotypes (Social psychology) – Tennessee, East – History
Social isolation – Tennessee, East – History
Stereotypes. Mountain People - Stereotypes.Andy Griffith Show. Dickey, James. Feuds. Foxfire. “Horn in the West,” Boone, NC. Motion Pictures – Appalachia. “Unto These Hills,” Cherokee, NC. Yosef.
- Branscome’s, James. Annihilating the Hillbilly: The Appalachians Struggle With America’s Institutions. Huntington: Appalachian Press, 1976. Appalachian Collection(F210 .B7)
- Billings, Norman, and Ledford’s Back-Talk from Appalachia: Confronting Stereotypes. Lexington: UP of Kentucky, 2001. Appalachian Collection (F210.C66 2001)
- Goad, Jim. Redneck Manifesto: America’s Scapegoat: How We Got That Way and Why We’re Not Going to Take it Anymore. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1997. Appalachian Collection(HD 8072 .5 .G67 1997)
- Hsiung, David. Two Worlds in the Tennessee Mountains: Exploring the Origins of Appalachian Stereotypes. Lexington: UP of Kentucky, 1997. Appalachian Collection (HN 79 .T22 E35 1997)
- Jones, Loyal. Appalachian Values. Ashland, KY: Jesse Stuart Foundation, 1994. (F217 .A65 J66 1994 -- App. Coll.)
- Williamson, J.W. Hillbillyland: What the Movies Did to the Mountains, and What the Mountains Did to the Movies. . Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1995. Appalachian Collection (PN 1995 .9 .M67 W54 1995)
Encyclopedia of Southern Culture. Eds. Charles Reagan Wilson and William Ferris. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1989. (App Coll. F209 .E53 1989)
Harvard Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Groups. Ed. Stephen Thernstrom. Cambridge: Belknap-Harvard UP, 1980. (Ref. E184 .A1 H35)
Encyclopedia of Southern History. Eds. David C. Roberts and Robert W. Twyman. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State Press, 1979. (App Coll. F207 .7 .E52)
Encyclopedia of American Social History. Eds. Mary Kupiec Cayton, Elliot J. Gorn, and Peter W. Williams. New York: Scribner, 1993
Encyclopedia of Appalachia. Eds. Rudy Abramson and Jean Haskell. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 2006. Appalachian Collection F106.E53 2006.
Journal Articles and other literature on Appalachian Stereotypes are indexed in the following:
The Appalachian Journal index issues:
Appalachian Collection (F216 .2 .A66: Volumes 7, 18, 23, and 28)
Online index search should include:
ERIC, MLA, SocAbstracts, Uncover, WorldCat
Other Indices listed here, should be used for an exhaustive search. Only a limited return can be expected for the time spent. Directions are generally given in the front of each issue:
Arts and Humanities Citation Index -- Permuterm Subject Index (ref. AI 3 .A63)
Stereotypes. Hillbilly. Appalachian. Appalachia.
Social Sciences Citation Index -- Permuterm Subject Index
(ref. H1 .S65)
Stereotypes. Appalachian. Appalachia.
America, History and Life, Anthropological Literature, Arts and Humanities, Ethnic News Watch, and Historical Abstracts.
Journals that often contain articles relevant to Appalachian Stereotypes are as follows:
Appalachian Journal -- (app. coll. F216 .2 .A66)
Journal of Popular Culture -- (Bound and Microfiche 1967-1995)
Southern Quarterly -- (app. coll. AS30 .S658)
Mountain Review -- (app. coll. F106 .M6)
Journal of American Folklore -- (Bound and Microfilm, latest issue received Fall 1998)
Journal of Appalachian Studies --(app. coll. F27 A65 J682)
Now and Then -- (app. coll. F217. A65 N68)
Appalachian Heritage -- (app. coll. F106 .A137 A6)
Melanie M. Rice
Date: October 29, 1998
Date: October 27,2011