The purpose of the University Archives is to collect, describe, preserve, and make accessible the records of Appalachian State University that are determined to have historical and/or informational value, from its founding to the present, regardless of format. The University Archives administers the university's records management program and oversees the University Records Center.
What We Have
The material held in the University Archives includes official records created in the course of daily operations in both analog and born-digital formats, records of student organizations, university and student publications, theses and dissertations, alumni scrapbooks and papers, select faculty papers, video and audio recordings, photographs, and artifacts. Explore our collections database!
What We Collect
- University Records: Institutional records of historical and informational value.
- Faculty Papers: Due to space and limited resources, we cannot collect the papers of every App State faculty member. To be considered for permanent retention in the Archives, the papers should reflect the individual faculty member's substantial administrative role, university interest, or university impact.
- Alumni/Alumnae Papers: Personal papers and memorabilia about an individual's time and activities at App State and/or their continued relationship with the university.
- Records of Student Organizations and Clubs: Records, photographs, and memorabilia created by App State student organizations and clubs.
- Publish Works: Books and publications about Appalachian State University.
- Examples of the Types of Material We Collect: Letters/correspondence (including email), diaries and journals, scrapbooks, photographs, audio and video recordings of campus events, flyers and posters from events and activities, memorabilia from student organizations and clubs, and select artifacts.
- Examples of the Types of Material We Do Not Collect: Drafts of publications, student records (such as assignments or graded work), experimental research data, books or other publications (including but not limited to journals, magazines, reprints, off-prints, and pre-prints) not about Appalachian State University
Records Management Services & the University Records Center
Appalachian State University is subject to the records retention schedule for the UNC System.